Working from home
Practice physiotherapy in the comfort of your home
When choosing your premises, you will have many options to choose from. Some practitioners prefer to rent premises by the hour, while others rent a room in a gym or work from an office at home. Each option comes with its own advantages and disadvantages and you should take the time to consider each of these before you make your choice.
Working from an office in your home is the most cost-effective option and you might also be able to claim a certain amount of your mortgage back from the tax man.
The advantages of using a home-based office include:
The disadvantages of using a home-based office include:
- Tax advantages
- No commute
- No transportation costs
- No stress during commute
- Flexible working hours and the ability to make accommodations for last minute bookings
- Low overheads and controlled expenses
- Ability to interact more with the family
- Easier to make adjustments to your time if a patient cancels
- The location of your home might make it a more convenient location for your clients
If you are opening an office in your home then Physio123 has the following suggestions to make to ensure that it is as client-friendly as possible:
- Could be perceived as an unprofessional environment by your clients
- You might find it difficult to separate your work and home life
- Disruptions from friends and family
- The temptation to work in extra hours or overwork yourself
- It might be tricky to provide clients with the privacy that comes with having entrances and exits that are separate from the house
- Isolated from colleagues
- The perfect home office is one that is completely separate from the home environment. It should contain its own entrance and toilet facilities. You can do this by converting a garage or basement into the perfect office.
- If your office is separated from your home, you will not be disrupted as often while attempting to complete administrative duties, write notes or return phone calls.
- Confidentiality is imperative and you will need to ensure that you will be able to lock your clientís files up safely in your office.
- The professional image of your practice will be enhanced by ensuring the office is well-lit, tidy and decorated in colours that enhance the mood.
- You will need to ensure that you have a separate business line, especially if you live with other people.